Sunday, April 27, 2008

Ah, The Signs of Spring--NOT!

I've been walking several days a week for several years, on a couple trails near my home. During the winter I stick to the road as the trails don't get plowed. Today was the first day I ventured onto the trail this spring and I was greeted with signs of spring.
Not sprouting plants or cute little bunnies, but TRASH DUMPING. Yes, really, trash.
My home is in a fairly rural area and near state land. I took a few pictures and should post them. What I found just a few hundred yards off the main road (dirt road) and three feet off the 2-track trail in three separate piles--
at least 6 garbage bags full of clothing, bedding and such
cookware
batteries
decorative wooden shelf
glassware
cardboard boxes
miscellaneous household items, some with garage sale price tags!
Whatever the reason for such dumpings, it is not necessary or acceptable! There are many agencies willing to take such goods including Salvation Army, Goodwill and locally, The Goldmine Shop, Bargains and Blessings and Joy Fellowship Church. These groups take donations for the needy.
Now for those who don't live in rural areas--this is a common event in the spring. It's always a surprise what you will find on your favorite walking trail or near your favorite berry patch in the woods. We find refrigerators, washers, dryers, cars, tires, propane tanks, and more because people are too CHEAP to get rid of their trash responsibily.
And what a way to treat Mother Nature! Most of the items could be recycled or reused even as grease rags.
And that's my rant for today!

No comments: