Saturday, March 08, 2008

Slow Knitting

Last week a made a purse for my friend M to give. When people ask about her purse, she says, "My friend Denise made it!" (with flourishing model hands). So I'm making a few more. They are easy TV knitting and uses left over wool.
I visited with my new Doc again on Thursday. I have homework from the last visit--keep a food diary. I had never done that before. It was a very interesting experience for me. I knew going in I would stern advice about the chips. It was the eating pattern that I was surprised with and what it does physiologically to my body that surprised me. I carb up (obviously bad carbs), fly, crash, carb up again to counteract the crash and wow, it's a vicious cycle!
My first day trying to break the cycle was eye opening. I've been doing this for so long I have gotten into a habit of carb doping for lunch and taking a nap in the afternoon. Yesterday, I cut way back on the bad carbs but did the nap thing anyway (habit). I felt so different after my nap. Like alive and awake. Doc said if I just do one thing a week (cut something or substitute a not so good thing for a better thing) then she expects a 1 lb. a week weight loss! My weight hasn't gone that way in 20 years! This is going to be hard work, but it's time to take care of myself now. I'm starting at 216, really. I go back in two months. I'm so excited, I'm gonna find some batteries for the scale!

No comments: