Saturday, July 08, 2006

Tracks in the Forest


Last update was knitting. This one's walking.
I've been walking off and on for several years. A long time ago (when I was in my 20s) I told myself that when I reached my 40s I would take care of myself and walk every day. A few years ago, when I reached 40, I realized, "Oh shite, I gotta do that now!" because I always do what I say I'm gonna do.
So I walk at least 3 days a week with my familiar, Precious Lady Jane.
We have several regular routes and over the last couple years we look for different things, seasonal changes, tracks, berries and critters.
About a year ago I came across a track I was unsure of; the tracks at the top of the pic are definately deer, but the tracks at the bottom were 'different'. As a former farmer, I knew they were not cattle tracks, nor horse tracks. And according to Department of Natural Resources officers, "There are no elk in this area." I beg to differ--I've seen these tracks for at least a year and 2 weeks ago my suspicions were confirmed!! Hubby and I saw Eldon (the elk) crossing the road only a mile and a half from the house!
I did a little more picture taking to confirm my suspicions. Left pic is Eldon's track, middle is the measuring stick and ruler for scale (6"), right pic is Bucky deer's track. Bucky's foot print is only 2", Eldon's is much closer to 3" and rounder. (And yes, I name most the critters I come across.) I would like to say to the Michigan DNR--you're wrong, na, na, na, na, na!

No comments: